Saturday, January 24, 2009

SO what is it that I'm doing??

In December I was at Place in Safety in town, and have since moved to the village of Manamani where I am volunteering a Muthamaro Secondary School. There are about 300 students from grade 8 to 12, and there are 12 teachers. My first week was rather confusing as everyone has about 3 jobs since they are very understaffed- so I just tried to help where I could from typing letters to chasing chickens out to classes. The students arrived on the Wednesday each one dressed in their school uniform of a powder dress shirt with gray pants and black schools. Since school started I have been helping in English, History, Geography and Economics class- some of the classes are very large with about 78 students but the grade 12 class only has 12 students as it is difficult for them to pass.

Many of these students are very DETERMINED to pass and are eager to work hard- it is very encouraging to hear them speak of their future goals and desire to attend university and college. Last year 60% of the graduating students (only 15 of them) are now enrolled in either college or university- this is a huge accomplishment for this school as they struggle with a high failure rate.

As I am getting to know the students and learning their stories I hope to share them here as the resilience and determination is what is giving me hope that these students will achieve and break the cycle of poverty that they are living in.

Sending everyone warm and sunny greetings!

No comments: