Sunday, July 26, 2009

April- “RE-connecting with my 3 little friends"


On my first day at Lydia’s place of Safety in December I meet a very seemingly shy little girl who turned out to be a little wild-child of the best kind! She has spunk, spark and a quick tongue! As well she has an older brother and sister- who are also equally full of character! These three really became close to my heart. Each day Jenn and I tutored and worked with them on English and Math of which all three of them just soaked up the knowledge and soared beyond. These 3 little friends of mine are; Elea, Thalu, and Marshee. As December time is the holiday summer break from school some of the kids at Lydia’s place do go and visit family members or close friends so that they are able to keep up some connect even though they might not be able to live with these relatives due to poverty or seasonal working etc. I realised that one day Thalu and Marshee weren’t around and Lydia let me know that they had gone to visit some relatives but Elea has refused to go and hid under Lydia’s bed. Happily they both returned in a week, and we were blessed with a singing performance from Marshee during the New Year’s crusade at their church- [note I am going to try to post this on U-Tube as she is one who could go places if she had the opportunity!]

In the start of January it was time for me to leave Lydia’s and moved to the village of Manamani, however I promised to visit each Saturday. January also brought some more volunteers who were placed at the primary school where Lydia’s kids attended. Marielle is a math teacher from Holland and brought them so much love and help in a subject area where ALL students struggle- she was able to encourage the learners and the educators both at the school and at Lydia’s. Thalu was one of the students who excels at maths! However in the end of January Marielle let me know that my three little friends were gone- they were taken back by their mother. I didn’t get to say good-bye and no one was quite sure where they were staying- to say the least this sadden me deeply as I know that they were going to be living without knowing if they would have food for the next meal, be dry from the rain or able to be safe from the harm of horrible people. I asked around my village and still no one seemed to know. Ironically my host-mom Agnes knew the family and the situation as she had been their teacher in the pre-school. With the arrival of new volunteers different activities were planned and together each Saturday we continued to work with Lydia’s kids- THEN in the end of May while in the taxi with one of the volunteers, Karen who was staying in another village she said to me “Oh I meant to tell you that I met one of your friends, who said that she knew you at Lydias?”- I hugged her right away and asked if it was Marcia? And it turned out to be- I got off the taxi with her and found my way to their home- where I saw Elea, Thalu and Marishee for the first time in 2 months- we all cried and smiled!

We made a weekly date to hang out and play- they helped me with my Tshivenda and my dance moves, and I helped them with reading English and the multiplication table. It also allowed me to meet and become friends with their Mom and their youngest baby sister. I loved every minute of it! However the reality is that I still might never see them again as they have to fight everyday against poverty, hunger and the threat of abuse due to being vulnerable- I do remain hopeful, but I can’t be blind to what is reality.

No comments: